We didn’t have any absolute failures today, like we did today last year! Unlike last year, Melissa didn’t fail at cooking, which is good because she was frying things, and if she would have failed this time, it could possibly burn down the building! I also didn’t have to read a 41 page legal document like I did this time last year. Yep, today is 4/16/2015, which happens to be the anniversary of that very libelous legal document that was the Lavanit ruling. Overall, we did have a better day than we did today last year. I do have to figure out what’s wrong with the Wi-Fi though, Melissa can’t use it and I can, which is extremely strange!
OK, I’m finally going to try and upload the pictures! I’m not sure if it will take all of them, because they’re big, and I’m not exactly sure how to format the post.
First of all, the play went really well! I do have pictures of me in my angel costume, but up until today, I’ve been so tired from 7 days worth of performances, that I haven’t had time to upload them! I’ll probably get to those sometime in the next couple days. My friend Kim also did take pictures of me dancing angel and in what I like to call my “pilate costume,” so as soon as she sends those to me, I’ll upload those as well. Mom and dad came on Thursday night, and mom just had to lecture me about the fact that my unison was off in the dance, and the fact that I made the beginners error of leaning forward on my arabesque just a little too far that night. Actually, I like to do high arabesques instead of lower ones, unfortunately, this causes me to lean forward a bit further than you’re supposed to, (because up until last month, I hadn’t performed an arabesque for about 15 years.) Part of the reason why my unison was off in the dance was because I didn’t know how long to hold the arm positions, and that was because no one told me how many counts to hold anything. On top of that, when I thought I heard Dawn tell me to turn, she was actually telling me not to turn, so I think I spun like 2 extra times that night!
On top of 3 dress rehearsals, (full dress, hair, makeup and costume changes every day,) and 4 performances last week, I had to deal with major building drama before the play and just before the performances started. Last Tuesday while we were getting the cart to load my groceries and use the elevator to bring them up here, (we have to do this via the basement,) the basement was blocked off with cones and caution tape. There were no signs, and we didn’t know why, (I thought they might have been cleaning down there, because they had been cleaning down there a couple weeks ago and had put notices everywhere.) Instead there was actually wet paint, (um…. excuse me… epoxy,) and Melissa accidentally left a shoe print on the floor. I didn’t call the building manager because honestly, I was afraid of what his reaction would be. He can be well… um, a lot like MR. ridiculous at times, (defamatory, unstable, and quite pharisaical,) and I was in a hurry because I needed to go to practice and I didn’t want to get into a word twisting, quoting everything line-by-line like debate with him. Instead we had that debate the next day, when he called me 3 times, and then cornered Melissa and I as we came back from the property management agency. He pretty much yelled at Melissa and told her she lacked common sense, was being stupid, and wasn’t using her brain, while he proceeded to not listen to anything she said. Yep, that reminded me of a lot of tweets I read last year! When I got upset because he was yelling at Melissa, he told me I needed to find a new caregiver and that he didn’t know why I was upset. He came up here the next day to tell me he still had no idea why I was upset, and that everything he said the day before “was for her.”
So mom called the property management agency last Thursday because I asked her to, but in addition to lecturing me about my dance that night, she also lectured me about not getting someone else to fight my battles. This is the same person that comes over and rearranges my furnature without asking me! She also goes through my desk drawers, and oh yeah just takes my stuff without telling me! This is also the same person who got my doctor to put me on antidepressents just because she thought I was “being short with people… um… lady, you have major issues, and you probably need to see a therapist! I actually asked her to call the building manager because I honestly thought he was surveiling me with the security cameras that are everywhere in the building. Instead she called the property management agency, and they called the building owner. Meanwhile, I was being told I was going to have to pay $100 for epoxy, then it was $80, then it was $40. The building owner called my mom, (apparently he called her twice,) and today at 11 this morning, he called me. He said he wanted to meet with Melissa and I, and he asked what time would be a good time to meet. We agreed to meet around 3. I knew this was going to be one of those pro se hearing like moments, and it turns out it was, it turns out the owner of the building is a retired police officer and spent a lot of time in military service, (I got a bit nervous when I first heard that.) Several things came out of the meeting:
- He didn’t think the way we were treated by the building manager was fair.
- However, he didn’t like the fact that I didn’t call manager either while we were loading groceries, or after the fact to tell him what happened. I had to apologize for that, because I do like transparency, (and although I didn’t want to tell a retired police officer and military serviceman that I support Wikileaks, and have studied sensitive and still classified documents and documents that involved a legal case that was at the time still under seal, well… yeah.
- He admitted that he doesn’t know how to deal with manager because he’s so intense and abrupt.
- He also admitted that he probably started the fire by telling manager that what Melissa did “lacked common sense.” I was about to have a “this argument makes no sense” moment right then and there because he wants us to call every time we’re loading groceries and they’re working on the basement and we need the cart, but what if manager isn’t in the building right then? He’d have to send someone else, we were in a hurry and I needed to go to practice, so that just wasn’t going to happen.
- He told me he’s going to waive the $40 this time, but there’s legal precedent for this because I signed the rental contract, so I’m legally responsible for what Melissa does. I could probably contest this fact on the grounds that it was an accident and that I didn’t receive proper warning in a way that was accessible to me, and therefore the actions were plain error because we didn’t realize there was wet epoxy and they were “surfacing” the floor.
- He wants to have a follow-up meeting, and he doesn’t know how to talk to the manager, so file this one under unresolved question. A legal case is an unresolved question, so file this one under legal case?
I did record the meeting, and it turned out to be an hour and 12 minute file.
To be honest, I wish I could start this post with a picture of me in my angel costume, or of me practicing with the flag I’ll be carrying during 4 performances next weekend. We did practice with the flag 3 times last week, and I think the play director made it lighter by putting a new pole on it. Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures though, because in the absolute chaos that was tech rehearsals, (and I mean they were absolutely chaotic!) no one managed to take pictures of me practicing.
Trust me when I say, there will be a lot more absolute chaos next week! So much so, that I feel like I’m planning a wedding.
- I must be at the church by 5:30 every day this week, except for tomorrow, when the angels have an extra practice session that starts at 5:00.
- Debbie, (our children’s pastor,) will be picking me up every day this week, (except for tomorrow, when I need to be at practice early, then Melissa will be bringing me.)
- Dress rehearsals are on Monday and Tuesday, but on Wednesday we perform the full play for the church.
- At least mom and dad will most likely be attending the play on Thursday, my sister may or may not come, depending on whether she thinks Aniah, (my almost 3-year-old niece,) can behave well, (and will stay in childcare without her gapa and mommy.)
- Melissa is planning to come either Friday or Saturday, depending on her work schedule.
- Church will be providing meals pretty much all week, I almost told Melissa not to cook anything, then I remembered that everyone rushes around sooo much during dress rehearsals and performances that I might not manage to get something to eat, so I renigged and decided to have her cook something.
- I have to remember to pack a bag, because in addition to dancing angel, (I’ve always wanted to say, “dancing the angel!”) I’m also in the crowd, so I have 2 costumes to wear. The problem is my angel underclothes are too long and have too many layers for my townsperson costume, so they told me to wear shorts under the townsperson costume, because the robe goes clear down to my ankles! My angel costume is not that long, it only goes to my knees.
- On Friday, Melissa and I went to Walmart, (again!) and I got a couple tanktops, and a couple black shirts for the play, I need the tanktops for well… under-the-shirt layers.
- I really want to leave my phone with someone who’s going to be there so they can take pictures, but I haven’t figured out who yet.
Oh yeah, if anyone watching this blog wants to watch me yell at Jesus or dance angel, our church is live streaming the play! the link is here: http://www.nlccroseburg.org/live-stream/ Performances are Thursday and Friday night 7 PM PDT, Saturday 3 PM, and Easter Sunday 11 AM.
I finally got the standard that I’ll be carrying during the angel dance yesterday. This! thing! is! huge! Did I mention this thing is huge? I mean it’s 9 ft tall! It’s so big that the pastor’s wife had to take the flag off the top to get it in her car to bring it to the church!!! Not only is it tall, but the pole is big around, and it has a crossbar on top that’s going to attach the flag part. It’s very, very heavy!!! Did I mention this thing is flippin heavy? It’s so heavy that I can’t carry it with one hand, well I probably could, but definitely not for a long period of time. Dawn, (my marching and dance partner,) and I have to carry it with both hands! When we practiced with the thing yesterday, I got so distracted by Dawn, because she had to walk across the stage to set the flag down in the only place it would fit on stage, that it threw off my whole dance! Dawn was supposed to be starting the dance with me and everyone else, and here she was schlepping the big huge flag to it’s only spot on stage. Unfortunately, in order for Dawn not to distract me, she can’t put the flag down, so that means she has to hold it and not dance, which well… to be honest… sucks a lot, because she loves to dance, and she really wants to dance! She’s just going to stand there and hold the flag the entire time, I mean she’ll probably wave it around like she’s maybe going to teach me how to wave it around tomorrow night.
We were going to practice with the flag tonight, but we had tech rehearsals all night, and we were practicing the crowd scenes. This is all because Dawn saw us carrying the standard exactly like this in a dream last night. I told her we could make an adjustment to the height of the standard, so I could carry it with one hand, or maybe we could change the dance. There are parts in the dance where I do nothing but wave the flag, so if I wasn’t going to carry a standard, we would need to tweak things a lot.
I finally got the song we’re dancing to for the play yesterday. I’d been asking the play director to send it to me, and she finally did! She actually sent it on Friday, but I’m way behind on email, so I got it yesterday. In a completely unrelated note, I would like to try Meerkat, which is a video streaming app. I was watching a stream of another blind person who was doing this today, and I think it would be fun, although I have no idea which direction to hold the phone!
I finally get to do an arabesque! Unfortunately, I have to do an arabesque with the flag in my hand, as I’ve become the resident standard-bearer. I don’t mind being the flag bearer, it’s actually kind of fun, but when it comes to dancing, I really should just put the flag down! One of the dancers is getting to do a leap, but I think since she’s getting to do a leap, everyone else should get to do one too. Just like since I wanted to do an arabesque, everyone else has to do one too, (hahhahhah!) Lol I just practiced a leap earlier, and I can still do them! I don’t get very high in the air though, maybe I should keep trying.
The one day I decided not to take my phone to church, because I never use it, I almost got stuck there at church. The children’s pastor’s husband, (who normally picks me up for church, and who normally comes after service to take me to the bus,) got hung up. I think I waited there about 20 minutes, I was about to go find his wife when he finally came. I know my way around the inside of the church, because I used to be there for Prayer Seeker’s Café. Of course, the one time I don’t take my phone, I get a lecture from my mother about taking my phone. I suppose I really shouldn’t tell my mom everything…
At around 2:30 yesterday, the lady who normally picks me up for play practice called to say she wouldn’t be going because she was sick. I tried calling and texting the director to ask if it was OK if Melissa could bring me, but she didn’t get back to me until we were leaving the church because we thought the doors were locked. She asked if someone could take me home, and someone did agree to, but I told her I didn’t mind staying for worship practice, (since I really like worship!) Not only that, but it gives me a chance to know what songs they’re singing on Sunday. They didn’t have a drummer, so they invited me on stage to play the congas for them! I’ve actually played drums before, I played a snair drum in 6th grade, and I did play the congas on stage once during a worship and intersession service when one of the worship leaders invited me up there. I did have a lot of fun playing the congas on stage! Unfortunately I didn’t go to play practice tonight, because yesterday I started getting a soar throat, and today it got worse, I think I’m coming down with a cold. I blame the antidepressants, I’ve been extremely tired all week, and now I’m starting to get sick. There’s a 12 hour prayer and worship service at church on Friday night, I’d really like to go, but if I’m still sick, I probably shouldn’t.
Yesterday I went to town with mom, to get some things I needed for the house. After that she brought me back home, and she was cleaning under the couch, (she had to move it to do that, of course,) and she decided to rearrange my furnature without asking me. This is the second time she did this! She attempted to do it in 2011, but I had my caregiver at the time move everything back. Last week, mom and my niece were here Tuesday and Thursday cleaning, she was here all day Tuesday, for like 3 hours on Thursday, and for a couple hours on Sunday.
Melissa came back to work today! She had to take a job on the side in the meantime, so her schedule is a bit complex, but I think we got it all worked out. We went grocery shopping today, I had to hurry up with the list of things I wanted her to make, because I couldn’t come up with them on command. It’s usually hard for me to come up with 3 recipes on command like that, so it did take a few minutes. We ended up needing to use the cart that my complex offers for loading and unloading things, because we had a lot of grocery bags to carry, and we couldn’t carry them all up the stairs at once.
Melissa is coming back to work for me next week! We just have to figure out a schedule, because she took some other jobs in the meantime, so she could pay bills.Melissa did say that one of her other jobs is at a home care agency, (not the one that was about to sue her for noncompete and never filed.) When I first called my caseworker to ask her some questions and get to know who she was, I asked her about that whole leak thing. She told me that as long as the agency isn’t working for me anymore, they’re not obligated to tell them anything, but I know that doesn’t mean they won’t.
Mom and my niece came over again today, and my mom actually got down on her hands and knees and scrubbed my kitchen floor! I actually asked her, “are you going to wax my floor too?” “Did you bring any floor wax?” She said she didn’t bring any. She wants to come back and clean out the cupboards, which I’m dreading because that’s going to take all day!
I had a follow-up doctor’s appointment yesterday. It was following up on my hospital visit last month. my mother decided to tell the doctor that for the last year, she thinks I’ve been short with people, and that I’ve been depressed. Because of this, the doctor put me on antidepressant pills. I hope the pills help with my headaches, and maybe cause me to reach the hilarity state, otherwise I don’t know that they’ll do much anything else. Mom thought it was the birth control pills that I’ve been taking since October 2013 that were making me “act funny.” She even told Melissa that, and apparently all Melissa said was that I was quiet, (which is just the way I am.) I had to remind Melissa not to say anything to my mother, because she definitely over-exaggerates a lot of things.
Today mom and my niece spent pretty much all day here cleaning, (well mom was cleaning, and my niece was playing. I think I played the Let It Go video at least 13 times today. I do have an MP3 file of the song, but it was easier to keep hitting f+5 on Youtube, instead of having to keep opening and closing a window every time. My mom decided that my apartment wasn’t organized enough for her standards, so she spent all day reorganizing half of it. She isn’t even finished yet, but she asked so many questions while she was here, that it was stressing me out. Every time she comes over here and does this, I understand why I can never live with her. She told the doctor however, that if Melissa can’t come back to work for me, that I’ll either have to move in with her or my sister, (and my sister is definitely a lot worse of a perfectionist than her!
For the past 2 years after the Febooary challenge has concluded, I’ve written a list of at least a few things I’ve learned while participating in it. While I did talk about some of these things in the preceding recordings, I thought it would also be good to write a post, so here comes the list.
- Audacity doesn’t really work well for anything besides recording. I was trying to answer a huge list of questions, in wich I had to pause in the middle, and read the questions to try and remember where I was, so as not to repeat or skip any of the questions. I had forgotten the keyboard shortcut for appending to the end of a recording, but once I looked it up, and tried it, Audacity said, “error recognizing sound device.” I was like um… the headset is plugged in, and I was just using it a second ago…
- The four-step process of recording, uploading to SndUp, tweeting, and then uploading to this blog via WP made it extremely hard to do things on late nights when I was in a hurry, and SndUp decided to take it’s time when the file was 10MB or over. Of course, I probably should have done the recordings earlier, but yeah… I have no idea how I’m going to make this process easier for next time. The problem is that the file needs to go to a service like SndUp so that people listening from Twitter clients like The Qube or ChickenNugget can listen, I happened to register for an account there so I was uploading files there. Then they all got uploaded here, I suppose I could give files the dropbox treatment, but the problem is that I could probably run out of space in Dropbox really fast if I kept uploading files like that and not deleting them. I have unlimited server space here, and I think as long as they’re under about 15-20 MB, SndUp will take the files.
- Perhaps I’m a raving traditionalist, but if you start in the middle of the challenge, do a few days, (and overload my twitter search with your recordings,) and you haven’t been participating all along, then you stop participating for a week and come back and do the last week’s worth of questions, (again overloading my Twitter search,) you aren’t actually participating in the challenge. I can understand starting a day or 2 late because you just found out about the whole thing, I can also understand skipping a day or 2 and having to make up because of unforeseen circumstances, (trust me, I had a lot of those this month, and I almost thought I was going to have to skip a couple days myself.)
- Whenever I try to explain or demonstrate something, it will apparently take me exactly 6 takes to record it. It took me 6 takes to record my explainer on why I don’t use an email client, and it took me exactly 6 takes, (on the same day the year before,) to record the PACER demonstration.
I answer a list of questions about the end of Febooary in this recording for day 28.
I recap the experience I had participating in Febooary in this recording for day 27.